Infinite creativity is at the fingertips with Nikon’s new 24.2-megapixel DSLR featuring a vari-angle touch screen monitor and instant sharing capability with wireless connectivity.
SINGAPORE - Taking photography to new creative heights is made easier as Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd. introduces the Nikon D5500, a 24.2-megapixel DX-format camera designed for aspiring photographers seeking to challenge convention by creating images in new and exciting ways. As the world’s smallest, lightest*1 and slimmest DSLR, the D5500 with wireless connectivity delivers intuitive operations to complement the inspiration of a great shot, be it still images or videos. With the combination of a vari-angle LCD monitor with touch screen control, intelligent eye-sensor, and optimized image review, the DSLR fits comfortably as a trusty companion for capturing those 'eureka' moments of photography.
Photographers will be excited with the results achieved by the D5500’s image sensor that is designed without an optical low-pass filter (OLPF), and Nikon's EXPEED 4 image-processing engine that provides a compelling advantage to capturing remarkably sharp and vivid details. Delivering photographic freedom, the DX-format camera supports a wide range of ISO and includes an enhanced Picture Control system, 39-point autofocus (AF), and support for Full HD video recording in 60p format. In addition, as a first in Nikon DSLR cameras, the eye-sensor automatically turns off the monitor screen display when using the viewfinder and a ‘Touch Fn’ allows for easy adjustments of operational settings.
“The D5500 sets a new standard of camera operability and intuitive features with the new eye-sensor technology and touch screen vari-angle monitor,” said Garland Mak, Deputy General Manager of International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd. “This DX-format camera is perfectly designed to empower photographers to capture stunning and crystal-clear images with ease. What’s more, the built-in wireless connectivity makes it simple to shoot and share, and the compact and sturdy build is designed for convenient portability.”
1. New intuitive features
• Optimised usability: Designed with ease of operation in mind, the D5500 is the first Nikon DSLR camera to include a vari-angle touch screen LCD monitor, allowing photographers to shoot from a wide variety of angles. Touch operation permission mode, a first in the Nikon DSLR range, incorporates a setting that disables touch operation during shooting, enabling the touch-screen controls only during playback. This prevents any erroneous or unintentional commands, giving users peace of mind that they can capture their special moments without having to fiddle around with sudden settings changes. With the ‘Touch Fn’, functions assigned to the second Fn button can also be easily executed via touch operation with the right thumb whilst holding the grip, allowing settings such as ISO, AF-area and focus point selection to be enabled or disabled while confirming viewfinder information.
These new features, along with the ability to revert to previous information layers at any time, provide photographers familiar technological gateways to new and exciting levels of creativity through simple operability. In addition, 6 types of information display offer a choice of user-friendly interface settings.
• Smart features: Another first in the DSLR range from Nikon is the eye-sensor technology that allows image review to commence as soon as the eye leaves the viewfinder, ensuring playback time is optimized. The smart technology also enables auto-turn on and off for the LCD monitor, saving battery time for more shots.
2. Refined image quality and high performance
• Bold image expression: The D5500 delivers 24.2 megapixels as well as improved performance at high sensitivities across a variety of light and subject conditions. The inclusion of the EXPEED 4 image-processing engine ensures fast and flawless processing capability and, when combined with the elimination of OLPF, details become sharper, clearer and more precise. In addition, Picture Control provides enriched depth and image clarity, while a more optimised white balance enhances colour temperature for more vivid reproductions. Support for ISO 100-25600 with improved noise reduction performance enhances image depth and vibrancy throughout the ISO range for clean and beautiful reproductions.
• Pinpoint image targeting: Featuring an AF sensor of 39 focus points, users can achieve crisp and sharp images even during variable motion conditions. The high speed continuous shooting frame rate of 5 frames per second*2 (fps) allows for sharp and precise captures of dynamic action in ensuring every moment from that fun day-out at the amusement park is captured to the fullest.
• Smart technology ensures photos are full of life: An exceptionally accurate 2016-pixel RGB sensor gathers brightness and colour data from diverse photo-taking conditions, be it of a sunny Sunday outing on a nature trail or the muted evening glow of a dinner party. Nikon’s exclusive Scene Recognition System then analyzes and measures the available light exposure, flash exposure, autofocus and white balance before releasing the shutter to perfectly capture the memorable moments.
• Maximising creative expression: In a first for DX-format cameras, the D5500 includes Vignette Control, created to reduce peripheral light falloff to ensure well-balanced brightness across the entire frame. The Special Effects modes also expand creative expression with 10 variable options including, but not limited to, Super Vivid, Pop and Toy Camera, to provide a playful tint of distinctiveness. Adding on to the visual indulgence are 16 options for Scene Mode, with effects including Portrait and Child settings for the family-focused photographer, Night Landscape and Beach/snow for landscape enthusiasts, and Sunset, Dusk/dawn and Candlelight for magic hour photography. To ensure every artistic expression is spot-on without the hassle of post-photography tweaking, immediate image adjustment is made possible while viewing live-view images with the option to adjust and confirm white balance and Picture Control.
• Stunning clarity with Full HD Video: Enjoy shooting Full HD 1080/60p videos under various lighting conditions, whether filming a sunset street performance or a mass gathering at the parade, with the ability to use up to ISO 25600*3 during movie recordings. Videos with the Nikon D5500 are complemented by crystal clear audio by its built-in stereo microphone, rounding off the impeccable production quality of a high performance DX-format DSLR.
3. Robust yet stylish
• Beautifully crafted and built to last: Encased in a monocoque structure and strengthened with carbon fiber composite material*4 for the front body, front cover and rear cover, the Nikon D5500 is built to last yet it does not have the weight often associated with similar high-strength materials. Photographers can travel light and shoot easy as its slim style and ergonomic layout also consequently provide to a sufficient grip space for comfortable holding.
• Ergonomic & stylish: Available in classic black and also chic red colour kits, strength and quality build are complemented by sleek exterior design. A secure and deep set grip for steady operation also allows the little finger to be rested whilst in use, resulting in an attractive and fashionable design package with beautiful photographic results.
4. Full connectivity through digital accessibility
• Wireless convenience: For quick and seamless online sharing of images, an option for shooting, live-view and playback during Wi-Fi® connection is made available. With a free download of the Wireless Mobile Utility application to an iOS or Android device*5, users will experience instantaneous digital convenience for transfers across a range of file size selections. The built-in WiFi® also enables remote shooting with the convenience to shoot from a smart phone. When used in tandem with the vari-angle monitor, the remote shooting function increases the flexibility to shoot subjects, including self-portraits of amusing forced-perspective photography, from any angle available.
5. High-Performance Accessories to compliment the D5500
• Full compatibility with leading NIKKOR lenses: Effortlessly compatible with the superb optical performance delivered by the wide range of DX-format NIKKOR lenses, including the new AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II lens, photographic creativity is made infinite with the Nikon D5500.
• Power up with flash compatibility: The D5500 has a built-in flash supporting i-TTL flash and is fully compatible with the Nikon Creative Lighting System, giving the photographer increased creative control. The Nikon Creative Lighting System includes Advanced Wireless Lighting and flash color information communication. Firmware update of the SB-910/SB-900/SB-700/SB-500/SB-300 is also supported.
1 Among digital SLR cameras equipped with a vari-angle monitor as of January 6, 2015, based on Nikon research.
2 Measured in accordance with CIPA guidelines.
3 ISO sensitivity can be set up from 100-25600 at manual setting during movie recording.
4 Teijin Limited's Sereebo® has been adopted. This new material, which utilizes carbon fibers, is very lightweight, yet strong and durable. As it also has an attractive look and feel, it is a material well suited to use with external covers that make up the monocoque structure.
5 Wireless transfer of videos is only available on the Android OS.
The Nikon D5500 will be available in February 2015. For more information on the new D5500 and other Nikon products, please visit http://www.nikon.co.nz
Nikon. At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit http://nikon.co.nz Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NikonNZ and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @NikonAsia.