The 18.4-Megapixel Carry-Anywhere Camera Combines a Compact Body with Powerful Features to Deliver Outstanding Images with Unparalleled Speed
Macalister Group Ltd is pleased to announce the launch of the new Nikon 1 V3, a camera that blends unsurpassed speed with the ability to capture clear, beautiful images of moving subjects with a highly accurate phase-detect autofocus (AF).
The Nikon 1 V3 builds on the legacy of the Nikon 1 range in delivering compact and easy to use cameras without sacrificing image quality, mobility and flexibility. The Nikon 1 V3 boasts new and improved features, including the world’s fastest continuous shooting frame rate1 of approximately 20 frames per second (fps) with AF – a mark that even surpasses the performance of D-SLRs. It includes 105 focus points when using phase-detect AF and 171 focus points when contrast-detect AF is employed, to provide superior performance when tracking moving targets.
The Nikon 1 V3 is perfect for capturing moving subjects at a level superior to what can be achieved with a D-SLR. The interchangeable lens camera produces stunning images thanks to the EXPEED 4A image-processing engine that delivers high-speed processing with ISO settings ranging from 160 to 12,800.
“The new Nikon 1 V3 is designed for photographers looking to capture high quality images and videos at lightning speed. Its impressive autofocus tracking provides the best possible performance for capturing moving subjects while maintaining crisp focus, even outstripping the results offered by professional grade D-SLRs," said Uemura Kimito, General Manager, International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd. "The V3 also includes a number of innovations making their debut for the Nikon 1 system, including a vari-angle touch screen display and controls that will be familiar to D-SLR users, making it a compelling package as a primary or secondary camera.”
The newly-developed Nikon CX-format CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 18.4 million also features a wide range of ISO sensitivities from 160 to 6400 (expandable to 12,800). This new image sensor also gives the shooter the ability to record Full HD 1080p movies at 60 fps, or 720/30p slow-motion videos at 120 fps. The Nikon 1 V3 is also the first of the Nikon 1 range to feature a touch-panel screen to put creative control at the fingertips of the photographer and an operating system that will feel familiar to existing D-SLR users. It also incorporates a vari-angle monitor which enables the shooter to capture beautiful images from a wider range of angles and positions and built-in Wi-Fi® and image editing modes enable users to be more creative and share their shots with friends and families easily via a smartphone.
In addition to the V3, Nikon has also introduced two brand-new CX-format lenses to help photographers capture the best images possible: a normal zoom lens and the world’s smallest and lightest super-telephoto zoom lens2 with an overwhelming 810mm equivalent (in 35mm format) angle of view.
V3 Primary Features
1． High Speed Performance
• 171 densely-packed focus points for accuracy: The V3 gives photographers the ability to capture stunning images of moving subjects with highly accurate phase-detect AF. Precise acquisition of the intended target is achieved through 105 focus areas with phase-detect AF, and 171 focus points with contrast-detect AF to ensure that images are always clear and sharp.
• World’s fastest continuous shooting1: The V3 also offers the world’s fastest continuous shooting frame rate1, making it perfect for capturing fast-moving subjects including sports or wildlife. When the electronic shutter is used, high-speed continuous shooting at a rate of approximately 20 fps enables the V3 to capture up to 40 shots in approximately two seconds. When the mechanical shutter is used, it is possible to capture up to 50 shots in approximately 8 seconds at a rate of approximately 6 fps.
• World’s shortest shooting time lag3: Nikon has also reduced the shooting time lag, enabling photographers to jump into the action straight away and never miss a shot.
2． Superior Processing for Beautiful Images and Video
• Powerful engine: The newly-developed Nikon CX-format image sensor without a low-pass filter offers an 18.4 megapixel capture resolution, combined with the EXPEED 4A image-processing engine to deliver superb images and video.
• Glorious results in any environment: A wide ISO range of up to 12,800 with enhanced high ISO noise reduction offered by the EXPEED 4A engine ensures images look clear and free of noise in even the most challenging shooting environments. It is also possible to capture stunning images at high sensitivities using the noise reduction function, which enables the camera to take multiple shots and combine them into a single image.
• Outstanding video: The V3 is able to record Full-HD movies at 1920 x 1080/60p resolution, up to approximately 10 minutes in length. An electronic vibration function also helps reduce the effect of camera-shake to deliver clear, crisp video, even when in motion.
3． Intelligently-designed to Capture the Perfect Image Every Time
• Horizon help: The Nikon 1 V3 is the first Nikon 1 camera to be equipped with a virtual horizon function that can be displayed in the live view display or viewfinder. It is capable of detecting camera roll if tilted to the left or right, or pitch if tilted forwards or backwards and works in both portrait and landscape modes. This feature is generally limited to high-end D-SLRs and is very helpful with framing of images of landscapes, architecture, and still objects.
• Enhanced controls and screen: The slim LCD monitor features a tilt mechanism that enables it to be rotated down to approximately 87 degrees for high-angle shooting, and up to approximately 170 degrees for low-angle shooting. It also includes buttons on the monitor that feel similar to those found on D-SLRs. Further, a main command dial on the back of the camera and a sub-command dial on the front of the camera enable users of D-SLRs to apply and adjust settings such as shutter speed in a familiar manner.
• Power at your fingertips: Users can assign frequently used settings to two function buttons on the camera and a third on the optional GR-N1010 Grip. The role played by each of these function buttons can be selected from seven options: exposure compensation, Picture Control, white balance, AF-area mode, metering, ISO sensitivity, or movie recording.
• Highlights to create the perfect shot: When the screen is used to play back images, a Highlights option can be used to pinpoint any areas in the shot that may be overexposed. The feature enables photographers to look at areas of concern, adjust camera settings and capture the shot again.
• Infinitely expandable: The Nikon 1 V3 can also take advantage of a wide range of 1 NIKKOR lenses and is also compatible with F-mount NIKKOR lenses via the FT1 Mount Adapter. This further expands lens options and will be particularly attractive for anyone with an existing D-SLR. Additionally, an external circular electronic viewfinder (DF-N1000) and Grip (GR-N1010) provide further expansion options.
Feature-packed Zoom Lens to Complement V3
• Versatility for a wide range of situations: The 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM is a slim 3x CX format normal zoom lens that covers the 10-30mm range of focal lengths (angle of view equivalent to 27 to 81mm in 35mm format). The 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM offers a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.55x (equivalent in 35mm format) and a minimum focus distance of 20cm, providing a level of versatility to suit most photographers in a wide range of situations.
• Lightweight performance: The 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM measures approximately 58mm (maximum diameter) x 28mm4 and weighs just 85g, making it the world's lightest5 power-drive zoom equipped lens to maintain the svelte, light portability of the V3. It also features a mechanism that retracts the lens when it is not in use, ensuring it remains compact for storage.
• No-fuss setup: The new model is the world’s first interchangeable lens equipped with a power-drive zoom to employ an electrically controlled lens cover, removing the need to attach and remove a lens cap. This eliminates risk of losing or misplacing the lens cap when shooting outdoors and makes it easier to quickly set up the perfect shot.
• Flawless video performance: The 1 NIKKOR lens has been designed with versatility in mind, and the electric power-drive zoom is ideal for smooth and comfortable movie recording. It also includes a zoom ring to enable the lens to feel more similar to an interchangeable model for photographers who prefer to not rely purely on the motor for zooming in to subjects.
Super-telephoto Lens Offers Beautiful Images from a Distance
• Compact yet powerful: The new 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is the world’s smallest and lightest super-telephoto zoom lens2. The CX-format lens features a focal length from 70-300mm, which is equivalent to a lens with an approximately 189-810mm focal length in 35mm format.
• Faster setup for hard-to-get shots: It is the first 1 NIKKOR lens to include a focus-limit switch to enable faster AF operation by limiting the range of autofocus to the telephoto side only. This innovation makes it particularly effective for capturing fast-moving subjects at a distance or when the subject unintentionally moves out of the focus area as it helps prevent an out-of-focus image. This feature is especially convenient for sports photography where the distance to subjects changes quickly as it makes it easier to frame a shot. The extremely narrow angle of view provides powerful zoom and compression effects, while the shallow depth of field emphasizes the main subject with beautiful bokeh to draw more attention to the subject.
• Portable perfection: Like the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens, the super-telephoto model also features a mechanism that retracts the lens when it is not in use to make it easier to transport and store. Tipping the scales at approximately 550g, it is also light enough to pack when attending sporting events, or for nature and wildlife photography.
• No-compromise image quality: In another first for 1 NIKKOR lenses, the VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 also employs a Super ED glass element, which is only found on NIKKOR lenses, to reduce chromatic aberration as much as possible and provide clear, sharp images. It also includes Nano Crystal Coat, a technology originating from Nikon’s work in semiconductor manufacturing technology that works to effectively reduce flare and ghosting effects and offer the highest possible image quality.
1 Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of February 10, 2014; based on Nikon research.
2 Among interchangeable lenses featuring a focal length of 600mm equivalent or longer (in 35mm format) for digital still cameras with AF function available as of February 20, 2014; based on Nikon research.
3 Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of February 10, 2014. Tested using the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM at the maximum wide-angle position in Single-point AF mode; based on Nikon research.
4 Distance from the camera's lens-mount flange when the lens is retracted.
5 Among zoom lenses for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses employing a power drive, available as of 12th February, 2014; based on Nikon research.
The Nikon 1 V3, 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM and 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 will be available starting in mid-April 2014. For more information on the V3 and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikon.co.nz
Nikon. At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit www.nikon.co.nz Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NikonNZ and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @NikonAsia.