The new Nikon COOLPIX compact camera goes down to the sea with a waterproof depth of 30m, survives falls of up to 2.4m, weathers the cold temperatures down to -10°C, and manages a dustproof ruggedness to get right into those adrenaline-filled quests
SINGAPORE – The release of the high-performance and tough COOLPIX W300 has been announced by Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd. today. Waterproof down to 30m and withstanding shock from falls as high as 2.4m, the new COOLPIX is ready for greater performance in both form and function with the inclusion of 4K UHD movie recording capability.
“Fitting right into the traveller’s backpack in a compact and durable form is the new W300 with its extensive range of functions. The camera compatibly gets into action in the terrains of land and water with its waterproof, shockproof, dustproof and cold-resistant properties, and is ready to tough it out to preserve your moments in both quality stills and 4K UHD videos,” said Hiroki Yamaoka, General Manager of International Business Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
• Trusted companion on land and in water: For those with a recreational diver's license equivalent to the PADI's Advanced Open Water Diver license, the W300 goes down to the depths of 30m without needing a separate underwater housing to provide users the delight of capturing photos and videos of the fascinating marine life. The shockproof characteristic that is popular with its predecessor, the COOLPIX AW130, have also been improved to withstand falls from up to 2.4 m. The camera's tough body is designed not only to withstand temperatures as cold as −10°C, but also to resist dust and sand for fun, worry-free use at the beach, on ancient citadel trails, or for a hike up the hills.
Equipped with a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to telephoto 120 mm1 and a maximum aperture of f/2.8, the camera is also engineered with Dynamic Fine Zoom2, which supports zooming up to approximately 10x. An effective pixel count of approximately 16.0 megapixels3, a backside illumination CMOS sensor and high-performance vibration reduction (VR) function further enables striking captures of the intended subject with effective reduction of blur caused by camera shake or subject movement, be it underwater or while engaged in outdoor activities.
• Defining the outdoors in motion: Record stunning sunrises from the hilltop, or the starry night sky by the campfire with the support for 4K UHD (3840×2160)/30p movie recording. When going underwater and facing different lighting environments, the exposure can be locked with the AE lock function so a diver can easily focus on framing the perfect shot without worry. The W300 is also equipped with functions for recording of not only time-lapse movies, but also superlapse movies.
• Tools of the adventurer: With an elegant and stylish design that looks great to use around town, improvements to features such as the grip and shutter-release button further make the COOLPIX W300 easy to operate, even when wearing gloves. It is also equipped with a new LED light button for convenient lighting back-up when preparing to take pictures or record movies in dark surroundings.
Enriching the outdoor life experience is the new Active Guide feature. By simply pressing the tool button on the side of the camera, information such as location data and altitude (water depth4) will be shown. Altitude or water depth logs can also be displayed as graphs. In addition, add verified location data to photos and movies after they are recorded.
• Additional features:
• Support for SnapBridge, which enables simple upload of images to social media
• Pre-focus and Target finding autofocus (AF) that support smooth and comfortable shooting
• A variety of scene modes in which the camera automatically applies the appropriate settings
• Creative mode that makes the ideal imaging expression simple
• Available in colours of camouflage, orange, yellow, and black
1 Equivalent focal lengths in 35mm  format.
2 The zoom ratio indicated for Dynamic Fine Zoom is the combined ratio of optical zoom from the maximum wide-angle position and digital zoom.
3 May be reduced with image processing.
4 When Underwater scene mode is selected, and when the camera automatically recognizes that it is under water in Auto mode.
The COOLPIX W300 will be available from June 2017. For more information on the new COOLPIX W300, and other Nikon products, please visit http://nikon-asia.com.
Since the company was established in 1917, Nikon has cultivated its status as a pioneer of optical technologies in Japan and overseas. Guided by our corporate philosophy of “Trustworthiness and Creativity,” we provide a wide range of technologies, products and services globally by harnessing our advanced technologies, the core of which encompasses opto-electronics and precision technologies. We are proud to celebrate our 100th anniversary in 2017.
Nikon. At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit http://nikon-asia.com. Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NikonAsia and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @NikonAsia.