Macalister Group Ltd is pleased to announce that the renowned Nikon Photo Contest (NPC) will be accepting entries between 15th September and 15th December, 2014.
Held since 1969, the contest aims to provide an opportunity for photographers around the world to communicate and to enrich the photographic culture for professionals and amateurs alike. The contest was retitled to "Nikon Photo Contest" since the last time it was held and with 99,339 entries – the largest number of entries in the history of the contest – from 153 countries and regions around the world, alongside a globally-diverse panel of 17 judges, Nikon Photo Contest is a truly international contest.
Nikon strives to implement new challenges with each Nikon Photo Contest in contribution to the constant evolution of imaging culture and in a drive to grow with the times of the changing imaging environment.
With the 35th Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015, four new features will be introduced:
• In each photography and video categories, entries can be captured not only by cameras, but also by any digital imaging device including smart devices and camcorders. The new acceptance for multiple devices is an effort to nurture the new imaging culture in today’s technology and times.
• Entries in the video categories will be judged separately, and videos of 6 to 180 seconds in length will be accepted to allow a creative imaging expression made possible only with video.
• The introduction of a theme, “Home”, for both photography and video categories.
The concept of "Home", which may incorporate a house or any other dwelling, a family, a home town or country is variable and may change with the various stages of a person's life and times or even social conditions. As these definitions and stories of "Home" differ for people around the world over the course of their lives, the introduction of this theme encourages a fascinating array of entries exhibiting these differences.
• Induction of a new award for participants of age 19 and under with the ‘Generation N Award’. This award, representing the viewpoint of young photographers within the mentioned age group, will be presented to a total of 10 entries from all categories.
All entries will be judged by prominent photographers, film directors, creative directors and imaging experts of the industry. In addition to selecting a total of 96 winners for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from the photography and video categories, the judges will select the best entry from the overall photography and video category respectively to receive the Grand Prize. The ‘Generation N Awards’ and a ‘Participants Award for Most Popular Entry’ will also be selected.
Winners will be announced in June 2015 with a planned exhibition* of the winning imaging works.
*Exhibition venue and dates will be informed at a later date.
• Entry requirements
All professional and amateur photographers, regardless of age, gender, or nationality, may participate.
• Entry categories
- Category A: Theme “HOME”, Single photo: Single image representing the theme “Home”
- Category B: Theme “HOME”, Photo story: 2 to 5 images representing the theme “Home”
- Category C: Open theme, Single photo: Single image representing any theme
- Category D: Open theme, Photo story: 2 to 5 images representing any theme
Video (videos 6 to 180 seconds in length)
- Category E: Theme “HOME”, 6 to 180 seconds in length
- Category F: Open theme, 6 to 180 seconds in length
• Entry submission period
15 September – 15 December 2014 (Japan Time)
• Entry method
Entries will be accepted only via online submission. Complete the application form on the Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 website and transmit image data via the form.
• Submission rules
Refer to Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 website.
• Judging and announcement of winners
Entries that pass the first stage of judging will be exhibited on the Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 website scheduled for January 2015. The second stage of judging will then take place in February, and winners of each award will be selected from entries that pass the second stage and onto the final stage of judging in April. Announcement of the final results will be made on the website in June 2015.
In addition, participants in the contest may also vote for their favorite entry. The entry that receives the most votes will be awarded the ‘Participants Award for Most Popular Entry’. Further details will be announced on the website at a later date.
• Awards and prizes
The Grand Prize will be awarded to the best entry in the photography and video category respectively. In addition, a total of 96 winners for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be awarded to entries in each of the photography ("Home" and open themes) and video ("Home" and open themes) categories, and winners will be presented with trophies and Nikon products of varying value. The winner of the ‘Participants Award for Most Popular Entry’, voted by contest participants, will receive a trophy and cash prize. A total of ten entries across all categories, submitted by those aged 19 or under, will be selected for the ‘Generation N Award’ in acknowledgement of the young generation’s imaging enthusiasm and viewpoint.
An exhibition for the contest winners is also in the plans. The Grand Prize and 1st place winners in each category will also have the opportunity to exhibit his or her portfolio on the Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 website. The following prizes will be awarded:
* 1st place winners in each category may exhibit additional works in the gallery on the Nikon Photo Contest website.
* Grand Prize winners may not be selected.
* Prizes to be awarded are subject to change without notice. Prizes may not be exchanged for cash.
Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 collaborating partner (as of June 12th, 2014) is Western Digital Technology, Inc.
*Products, brand names and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Nikon. At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit http://nikon.co.nz Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NikonNZ and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @NikonAsia.